We realize the University’s announcement last evening likely created many questions or concerns for you, and we wanted to take a moment to address those related to the residential experience.
As noted on the University’s coronavirus website and in President Hatch’s campus announcement, students should not return to campus if at all possible.
Additionally, all undergraduate residential students must register their plans with the Office of Residence Life and Housing at go.wfu.edu/housingportal by Friday, March 13. We are aware of limited issues accessing the housing portal due to significantly increased volume. If you’re unable to access the portal, we ask that you please continue to try at later times.
To reaffirm the University messaging, while it is unknown when we will return to on-campus classes, we are NOT asking students to move out of their housing at this time.
When registering your COVID-19 intent on the housing portal, you will fall into one of three categories:
- Students not returning to campus: Please be safe in your travels, stay aware of the latest University updates at coronavirus.wfu.edu, and know that as additional plans come together for the semester we will be in touch with you.
- Students needing to return to campus to retrieve essential items: Students may access their spaces for the purpose of retrieving essential items until Tuesday, March 17 at noon. Students are not permitted to remain in community overnight without approval as outlined below. We realize many students already have plans for returning from spring break. We are not asking that you unreasonably modify travel plans or that you put yourself in unsafe travel situations. Our intention during this period is to allow access to retrieve essential items and then leave campus as quickly as possible while ensuring safe travel. We do recognize this might mean a one night stay on campus. Should you have a need for more than one night on campus, please contact us at email@example.com for prior approval based on your individual circumstances.
- Students needing continued on-campus housing: Students needing to remain in campus housing beyond noon on Tuesday, March 17, must be approved by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Students who do remain in campus housing or in the Winston-Salem area should be aware that access to many facilities and services – including dining, student health, recreation and libraries – will be limited.
In an effort to care for all members of our community during the rapid national and international transmission of the COVD-19 virus, students, faculty and staff are being asked to:
- Review both abroad travel CDC Level 2 and Level 3 locations (international map) and states in the United States (U.S. map) with widespread (50 cases and above) COVID-19 presence.
- If you have traveled to any of these locations or have been on a cruise in the last 14 days, please complete this Travel Reporting Form.
In addition, all who have traveled to high-risk countries since February 25, 2020, with current CDC Level 3 or Level 2 health notices are asked to follow CDC guidance and complete a 14-day self-isolation period BEFORE returning to campus. If you develop any symptoms, do not return to campus and seek medical evaluation. Call prior to seeking care to prevent the spread of infection. CDC instructions for self-isolation and symptom monitoring can be found here.
If you are a student and you believe you have been exposed to a known or suspected case of COVID-19 while traveling, please call the Student Health Service (336-758-5218) or your primary health care provider. Seek medical attention if you experience fever, cough or difficulty breathing. It is recommended that those who think they may have been exposed call ahead before going to the Student Health Service, their primary care physician, or an emergency room.
We realize there are many other questions you may have, the best available resource related to the University’s response is coronavirus.wfu.edu.
For housing related questions, feel free to contact us at 336-758-5185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.